Two services are required to charge credit cards in The Raiser's Edge: (1) Blackbaud Payment Services (BBPS) and (2) a merchant account. Follow the steps below to configure these two services and integrate them with The Raiser's Edge.
- Update to the latest version of The Raiser's Edge. The Raiser's Edge has implemented security features to protect the credit card holder as well as the user. In order to process credit cards, The Raiser's Edge must be up-to-date.
- Set up Blackbaud Payment Service (BBPS). BBPS securely stores credit card information used by The Raiser's Edge. This enables The Raiser's Edge to remain PCI Compliant, as required by all major credit card companies. (For more information about PCI Compliance, refer to What is PCI DSS?) Upon completing the Blackbaud Payment Service (BBPS) sign-up, be sure to note this service’s user name and password. (NOTE: This step cannot be skipped. BBPS is required to be present. It’s a benefit of your product support, so there are no additional charges to sign up and add this to your Raiser’s Edge.)
- Provision (i.e. Set up) the Merchant Account. The Merchant Account is the service that charges the donor's credit card. The Raiser’s Edge can use Blackbaud Merchant Services (BBMS) or you can select from a list of compatible merchant accounts for The Raiser's Edge. (NOTE: Some products, like Online Express, only use Blackbaud Merchant Services.) Upon completing your selected merchant account set-up, be sure to note this service’s user name and password.
Set-up The Raiser’s Edge
- Enter the Blackbaud Payment Service (BBPS) credentials into The Raiser's Edge. (This is the user name and password from step 2 in Preparation.)
- Add the merchant account information to The Raiser's Edge. (This is the user name and password from step 3 in Preparation.)
- In The Raiser's Edge, click on Config > Business Rules > Batch options. Ensure the "Process credit card and ACH gifts through" value is set to IATS/Other (for The Raiser's Edge 7.93 or earlier) or BBMS/Other (for The Raiser's Edge 7.94 or higher).
- Once these steps are complete, your Raiser's Edge is set up to charge credit cards in Batch.
Processing Direct Debits
The Raiser's Edge supports direct debit (ACH) processing via Blackbaud Merchant Services, IATS, or your bank/financial institution. Refer to the section for the desired processing option to set up The Raiser's Edge for it. (NOTE: For non-US direct debit processing, please refer to these additional resources.)
Blackbaud Merchant Services (BBMS)
In The Raiser's Edge 7.93.5782.10 and higher, direct debit processing is available through Blackbaud Merchant Services. The RE:EFT module is not required to be present for this functionality. Completion of the credit card processing Preparation and Raiser’s Edge Set-Up described above using Blackbaud Merchant Services (BBMS) as the merchant account choice also sets up your Raiser’s Edge for direct debit processing using BBMS. Once the set-up is complete, follow these steps to use BBMS to process direct debits. (NOTE: Direct debit processing in Canada is not available with Blackbaud Merchant Services. Please refer to one of the following options.)
Direct debit processing is also available via an IATS merchant account, however, the RE:EFT module must be present. Completion of the credit card processing Preparation and Raiser’s Edge Set-Up described above using IATS as the merchant account choice will prepare your Raiser’s Edge for direct debit processing using IATS. However, be sure to contact IATS to confirm that your IATS merchant account is enabled for direct debit processing and then update the merchant account information in The Raiser's Edge if needed.
Your Bank / Financial Institution
If the RE:EFT module is present, then The Raiser’s Edge can prepare a transmittal file (a data file) that exports from The Raiser’s Edge that you can give to your financial institution for processing. Each financial institution has their own process regarding how this file is to be uploaded and processed by them. Please contact your financial institution directly for additional information on their specific steps. To configure The Raiser’s Edge for ACH direct debit processing with your bank/financial institution:
- Confirm the RE:EFT module is present. If it is not present, click Chat with support below or contact your Account Executive for more information. If RE:EFT is present, proceed with the following steps: This module is required for direct debit processing via your Bank/Financial Institution.
- Click on Config and then General. In the Immediate Destination, enter the routing number of the bank account here the bank should deposit the gift. (Only the first 8 digits of the 9 digit number are entered here.)
- Still under Config, click on Financial Institutions. Look for your bank in the list and double-click on it to open. If it is not present, then click New Financial Institution in the upper left.
- On the open financial institution record to enter your destination bank account (where your bank will put the money one the direct debit funds are processed):
- Enter or update address and contact information.
- In the upper right, mark Sponsoring Bank. Enter the Account Name and Account Number. Leave the User Number field blank unless your financial institution provides one.
- Under Electronic Transfer Information, enter the Transit/Routing no. of this account. (This will be the same as the account in step 2.)
- For Immediate Destination, keep Use Transit/Routing no. marked – unless your financial institution provides another value for this field.
- Click Save and Close.
- Once this information is entered, proceed with processing direct direct debits in The Raiser's Edge.
- How to process credit cards and direct debits (once this configuration is complete).
- How do I process recurring gifts, pledges, and direct debits from Online Express in The Raiser's Edge?
- How do recurring gifts from Blackbaud NetCommunity process?
- Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) How-to Guide (PDF)
- Regular Supporters Implementation How-to Guide (PDF)
- EFT Overview Guide for Canada (PDF)
- What formats for electronic transaction sets are supported in Canada for EFT?
- EFT Overview Guide for UK (PDF) and Paperless Direct Debit Guide for UK (PDF)
- How to process direct debits (UK Only)
- How to process SEPA Direct Debits in Raiser's Edge (Europe only)
- EFT Overview Guide for Australia and New Zealand (PDF)