When you have a batch workflow assigned to a batch template you are unable to delete a step in that workflow if a batch has ever been saved and closed using that template. It doesn't matter if you delete the batch from a uncommitted or committed state the message of(This workflow status is in use and cannot be deleted until all batches associated with this workflow status have been updated) appears. You can delete the step only if a template for that workflow
Create new batch workflow and change batch templates that you want changed to the new workflow. This will mean any new batches with that template type will use that workflow.
Steps to Duplicate
1. Batch Entry//Batch Workflows—Add a batch workflow
Create a workflow with at least two steps under status values used with workflow and one step under steps used to transition batch from one status to another
Batch Entry//Batch Templates—Add a batch template
4. Create a constituent batch template—Assign workflow name to workflow you just created
5. Batch Entry//Batch Workflows—Find workflow you made, confirm you can delete one of the steps (have to remove transition steps first)
Batch Entry—Find your new template enter information- Save and Close
7. Batch Entry//Batch Workflows—Attempt to delete step, see message (This workflow status is in use and cannot be deleted until all batches associated with this workflow status have been updated).
8. Batch Entry- Delete Batch that you just created, therefore there should be no batches in the system using that template or workflow
9. Batch Entry//Batch Workflows—Attempt to delete step, same message as above appears
This also happens if you commit the batch, and then delete the committed batch from committed batch page