This report pulls all credit card transactions and reports the name of the person whose card it is. The dates on this report are also the dates that the payment was added to Altru and not the date listed on the payment (often these two dates are the same but, it is possible to date a payment before the date it was actually added to the database).
Option #1: Reconcile the BBMS Disbursement Report to the Total Revenue Report: There are a few different reasons why these reports may not match. The following steps walk you through a process to determine the transactions causing the reports not to match.
- Run BBMS Disbursement report for each week in the month. You can download your disbursementreport directly from BBMS or download it from Altru.
- Run the Total Revenue Report for each of those same periods in the month with the box marked to show payment method distribution.
- Navigate to Revenue > Total Revenue and Payments report
- Note: Mark “Show Taxes,” “Show Security Deposits,” and “Show revenue that moved from unearned to earned.” This way all payments and revenue are included on your report.
- Compare the BBMS Disbursement Grand Total Gross Amount at the bottom of the report to the Revenue by Payment Method Credit Card Total on the bottom of the Total Revenue Report. If the two numbers match, there is no further reconciliation necessary. If they do not match, note the difference. Note: Do not look at net amounts on the Disbursement Report, as this takes out the BBMS fees and will notmatch Altru.
- For each of these periods that is off, in Altru, go to Treasury > reconcile transactions and disbursements. Tip: This feature automatically uploads disbursement reports from BBMS and matchestransactions from Altru to the BBMS Disbursement. It then identifies which credit card transactions in Altru are not included in the disbursement or which items are in the disbursement that don’t match a transaction in Altru. Read more about this feature and how to use it. To enable this feature, refer to our help guide.
- In Treasury > reconcile transactions and disbursements, go to the View by Altru transaction tab. Filter on Show Pending transactions and Transactions for the specific disbursement dates. Click Apply. This will help you identify pending transactions that are in Altru but not in the BBMSDisbursement. Note: These could include back office credit card payments where no one marked the box to Authorize card on save so the card was not charged, or payments in a batch that were not run through Credit Card Processing and an authorization code was manually entered.
- Next, in Treasury > Reconcile Transactions and Disbursements, go to the Unmatched Disbursementstab. Again, filter on Transactions for the specific dates of your disbursement. On the Unmatched Disbursements tab, look for any transaction that doesn’t wash out. You’ll frequently see one amount then the same negative amount right in a row with the same date—this is a canceled Daily Sales order and washes itself out—but we want to look for a single line that doesn’t have another match on this page that wouldn’t wash out. These are charges or refunds that are in Blackbaud Merchant Services that aren’t in Altru. Note: This could include transactions entered directly into the BBMS Web Portal or Mobile Pay. This could also include refunds done directly through BBMS. This could include back office Altru credit card payments that were deleted (since there is no longer a record of the payment in Altru). There are steps in our Knowledgebase on doing additional investigation into charges in BBMS that are not in Altru.
- If there is amount off between Altru and BBMS but nothing shows in the Unmatched disbursementstab AND your organization is not in Eastern Standard time (EST), look at the very top of your Disbursement report for transactions between 12am-5pm on the first day of your disbursement. Because the Altru database is in not EST (and in your time zone) but BBMS is in EST, a transaction in Altru at 11pm CST, for example, falls in BBMS on 12am EST the next day. If this day happens to be the start of the disbursement period, it could cause Altru and BBMS to be off by the amount of the transaction. These transactions do not show in unmatched disbursements as Altru knows that BBMS is in EST and accounts for that. If Altru is more than BBMS, look at the next disbursement report to see if that money is the first transaction on the next report. If BBMS is more than Altru, look at the prior Total Revenue Report to see if that money is in the Total Revenue Report for the last period. Also look at last transaction in that period in case it is in Altru but falls on the next day in BBMS due to being late at night.
- Finally, on the disbursement reports, look for chargebacks. There is a specific page in the Disbursement Report that details any chargebacks in that period. Chargebacks can cause BBMS to be less than Altru because there is a $15 fee associated with them, and Altru does not display chargeback fees in the Altru database. They are only in BBMS.
- If these steps do not reveal the transactions or chargebacks that are causing the discrepancy, run the Daily Transactions Report and compare it against the Total Revenue Report(refer to step 2) for one day to find individual transactions that may be causing the lingering discrepancy.
Option #2: You can also build a query to compare the credit card transactions in Altru versus the transactions in the Blackbaud Merchant Services Disbursement Report:
Start your query:
- Navigate to Analysis, then select Information Library
- Click Add an ad-hoc query
- Select the source view of Revenue and click OK
- In the left column, select Revenue. From the middle column, drag Payment Method into Include records where. Set equal to Credit Card
- From the same middle column, drag Date Added into Include records where. Set Between the date range of your Disbursement period
- From the same middle column, underneath Credit Cards drag Card Number into Include records where. Set this to Not Blank.
- From the same middle column, underneath Credit Cards drag Authorization code into Include records where. Set this to Not Blank.
- In the left column, select Revenue. From the middle column, drag Payment Method into Results fields to display.
- From the same middle column, underneath Credit Cards, drag Name on card into Results fields to display.
- In the left column, select Application Details. From the middle column, drag Type into Results fields to display
- From the same middle column, drag Designation Name into Results fields to display
- In the left column, expand Application Details, expand Membership Transaction, then select Membership. From the middle column, drag Membership program into Results fields to display
- From the same middle column, drag Membership Level type into Results fields to display
- In the left column, with Application Details expanded, select Event. From the middle column, drag Event name into Results fields to display
- In the left column, with Application Details expanded, select Program. From the middle, drag Name into Results fields to display
- In the left column, with Application Details expanded, select Merchandise. From the middle column, drag Item Details into Results fields to display
- Click Preview results tab
- At bottom left of the query screen, click Browse
- Select Revenue transaction Page, then click OK
- Review each line item in your Browse query results screen