What are Smart Fields?
Smart fields are fields you can create to find summary information that may take a long time to compile or synthesize manually. For example, if you wanted to see how much someone has given, a Smart field could be configured to specify which types of revenue or recognition you would like to consider in the giving total. To learn more about Smart fields and see how you could create one, view our video below:
What can I use Smart Fields for?
Once a Smart field is created, you can view each constituent's Smart Field value on the Smart Fields tab of their record.
Smart Fields are also used as a basis for an Ask Ladder to calculate a customized ask string for your constituents. For more information about configuring an Ask Ladder, see our related solution here: Can I configure custom suggested giving amounts in my appeal mailing?
In addition, you can also quickly filter on Smart Field values a query and output Smart Field values in a query, mailing or export. For more information about using Smart Fields in queries, see our related video here:
What are some common Smart Fields I can configure in Altru?
Altru allows you to configure Smart Fields for Constituent, Marketing, and Membership data. To view a full list of the different Smart Field definitions, see our Smart Field Guide here.
Below are the most commonly used Smart Field definitions and what summary information or statistics you can see with these smart fields:
Constituent Revenue Application Amounts:
- I need to pull a report that shows all donors who donated a cumulative amount for a certain time period
- Total Lifetime Giving
- Total Membership Dues
- Total Event Registrations
- Total Giving Amount This Year
- I need to find a constituent's first or last gift amount
- First Gift Amount
- Last Gift Amount
- Largest Gift Amount
- Average Gift Amount: I need to find the average gift for a certain time period
- How to find first and last gift dates
- First Gift Date
- Last Gift Date
- Last Membership Payment Date
- Largest Gift Date
- Total Number of Donations: I need to report on the number of gifts a constituent has made
- Consecutive Years as a Donor: How to report on consecutive giving years
- Number of Years as a Member: I am trying to develop a query that would give me the names of members who have been members for a number of years
- Consecutive Years as a Member: I need to see my constituents consecutive years as a member.