Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing.
Prior to importing, we suggest marking Validate Now on the General tab.: Validating the data will not import the information in the system. This is a test run of the import.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes on the Options/Summary tab.. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
Before performing the import for a large group of records, try it out for one student.
This article refers to the general term Record ID. Record ID is the same as Student ID, Individual ID, Faculty/Staff ID, Organization ID, etc.
1. Create an Excel File (.CSV Format) containing the required fields in order:
- Record ID (or Record Import ID)
- Attribute Import ID (required in order to update the correct attribute; without this field, a new attribute is created)
- Attribute Type
- Attribute Description
- NOTE: Should you desire to add additional information or update another field besides Description, choose the desired field instead of Description. Some example fields would be Comment and or Date
3. In Administration> Import Records, start a new Attribute Import (under the Record Type).
4. Mark Update Existing Records, Validate Only, and select Attribute Import ID for the Use field
5. Select the File Layout tab > Mark the Import File does not contain field names option ONLY if your import file does not have header. If your Import File contains the field names, mark Fields names are on the first line of the import file.
- * Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.On the Fields tab, map each field from the Excel file with the corresponding system Field on the left side
6. Select the Fields tab and map the fields
7. Save the import parameters.
8. Click Validate now (if we marked Validate data only on the general tab) or Import Now