In this stage, just get familiar with Altru and how to use some of the resources available to you. Don't worry about learning the details of daily, weekly, and monthly tasks yet; simply focus on the layout, features, and concepts of Altru. With this foundation, you’ll quickly learn the details in the next stages and prepare yourself to work in Altru.
- Get a Blackbaud.com account. Blackbaud.com Login Help
- Complete the Basics of Altru eLearning course.
- Join the Altru Community.
- Read the following chapters and chapter sections in Altru for Beginners.
- Fundraising - Appeals and Appeal Mailings: Any Number of Ways to Say "Please"
- Memberships - Retain Members: You Still Really Like Me, Right?
- Events - Event Information: Shindig Dirt
- Events – Invitations: The Guest List
- Revenue – Revenue Communication Money Talks
- Data Management – Query at Your Fingertips
- Enroll in the Blackbaud University online instructor-led courses. These two courses are prerequisites for all other Altru online instructor-led courses:
- If you are also responsible for your organization's website, check out the role-based training guide for Web Administrators: What training is recommended for a new Web Forms Administrator?
The trainings and resources in this section are arranged so that your most common tasks are addressed first.
Week Two - Daily Tasks:
As marketing manager, you’ll be reaching out to the constituents in your database. Use these resources to understand the constituent record in Altru.
- Check out these Help Topics:
- Watch these videos:
- Introduction to the Constituent Record
- How to Add a New Individual Constituent Record in Altru
- Adding an Organization Record to Altru
- Adding Individual Relationships to Constituent Records in Altru
- Adding Organization Relationships to Constituent Records in Altru
- Track Social Media Accounts for Constituents
- Enroll in the Blackbaud University online instructor-led course Altru: Constituent Record Management.
Query is a grouping tool that allows you to group records with similar characteristics. Queries are used in mailing processes to tell Altru which constituents should receive your mailing.
- Enroll in the Blackbaud University online instructor-led courses:
- Check out the Help Topic: Getting Started in Query.
- Watch the Altru Query videos.
- Practice query with a few of these common mailing list queries:
If you have any edits or additions to your list, you can also upload a revised marketing list back into Altru using the Import Selection feature.
Appeal mailings are used to send fundraising solicitations, general marketing mailings, and other mailings and emails you need to send via Altru.
- Enroll in the Blackbaud University online instructor-led course Altru: Appeals and Mailings
- Check out the Help Topics:
- Watch the videos in these playlists:
- Review these Altru Masters Workshop Recordings & Handouts:
The Address Processing Option feature allows you to specify which addresses to use and what organizational contacts to use in your mailing.
- Check out the Help Topic: Address Processing Options
- Watch this Video: Configuring and Using Address Processing Options in Altru Communications
Name Format Options allow you to specify how you would like the Addressee, Contact Addressee, and Salutation to appear in your mailings.
- Check out the Help Topic: Name Format Options
- Watch these Videos:
- Review this Altru Masters Workshop Recording & Handout: Managing Constituent Name Formats, Communication Preferences, and Address Processing
As Marketing Manager, you may also work with your Membership Manager to send monthly membership renewals:
- Enroll in the Blackbaud University online instructor-led course Altru: Membership Communications
- Refer back to Altru for Beginners: Memberships - Retain Members: You Still Really Like Me, Right?
- Check out the Help Topic: Membership Renewal Notices
- Watch the videos in this playlist: Altru Curriculum: Membership Renewal Notices
- Review these Altru Masters Workshop Recordings & Handouts
- Check out the Help Topic: Export
- Watch this Video: Altru Export Basics
- Review this Altru Masters Workshop Recording & Handout: Exporting Data
- Check out these Help Topics:
- Watch the Video: Running AddressFinder in Altru
Now that you’ve learned the basics and laid the foundation to mastering Altru, let’s hone those skills through practice and review.
Week Six and Beyond:
- If you need a refresher, look back at any of the materials reviewed during the earlier stages.
- Search Knowledgebase to find how-to videos and instructions.
- Subscribe to the Altru Announcements Blog and Altru Tips & Tricks Blog
- Keep on top of the release of new features in Altru by visiting the Altru New Features page.
- Stay up-to-date on marketing best practices for Arts and Cultural Organizations on arts.blackbaud.com.
- Make sure you’re maximizing Altru’s features to make your next marketing campaign your best ever with our Altru Optimize Consulting Package for Marketing.