If a family needs to be refunded, first ensure that the funds have been transferred to the school. A fee would then be added on to remove that over-payment and note the refund.

1. Look at the payment and make sure it is in the settled column:
User-added image
2. Ensure that a fee called "School Issued Refund" or something along those lines exists. If not follow the steps here: Creating a Fee

3. Add that fee into the system by following the steps: How do i add a new fee or discount in edit billing details