1. Getting started
- Go to the FINANCE menu, and click on the STATEMENTS tile.
- On the first screen, and make sure the proper date range is selected
2. Choosing Recipients
- Click on the RECIPIENTS tab
- In the "Collect Contributions For" drop-down menu, select "Head and Spouse Only" or "Individual
Note: We always recommend that you run tax statements for "Head and Spouse Only". This keeps giving records under the same household. Selecting "individuals" will also increase your statement count drastically.
When you're just testing things out, select "Individual" so you can just search for your test record.
- If you run your statements for Head and Spouse only, choose "Family name" in the Type of Header for each statement selection.
- If you run your statements for individuals, choose "Individual's full name" in the Type of Header for each statement selection.
Choosing who you want to run the statements for
In the next drop-down menu, here you're going to choose how you'd like to search for individuals that you'd like to run the statements for.
We have several different methods for doing this:
- By Group (Individual) - If you have a specific group of Individuals that you want to run statements for, this is a good option.
- By Group (Head of Household) - Like the option above, if you have a specific group of folks you'd like to run statements for, but you want to see the Head of Household for those individuals to choose from, use this option.
- Given by Amount - We always recommend this option! The "Given by amount" allows you to choose a range of giving, and run the statements for anyone that gave that total amount for the year.
- Pledged and Gave - If your church tracks pledges heavily, maybe you'd like to run your statements for folks that pledged and gave
- Pledged but Never Gave - Conversely, you might also want to search for folks that didn't fulfill their pledges at all.
- Search for Anyone - If you just want to pick out a specific person and run that statement, then this is your best option. (Since you'll be running a test first, use the "Search for Anyone" option, and find your test record that way).
Once you've selected how you'd like to search for people, check the boxes next to any people that you'd like to run statements for.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
We Always recommend choosing your recipients based off of the "Given by Amount". By default, the given amount is from $0.00 - $1,000,000.00. Most churches will push the range to $250.00 - $1,000,000.00. With this method, you can run statements in batches, thereby weeding out unnecessary statements for small giving amounts. You'll need to repeat the statement process for each given amount group.
3. Including Pledges on your Statements
- Click on the PLEDGES tab
- Select how you would like your pledges to appear on your statements.
Most Churches do not include Pledges on their Tax Statements. However, if your church does want to include these pledges, we have two options:
- Show Pledges constrained by Start/End Date: This option will include pledge transactions that fell within the start and end dates of the statements that you're currently preparing.
- Show Pledges total retirement: This option will include the total retirement of active pledges regardless of whether the giving occurred within the start and end dates of the statements.
4. Customize Your Statements
Because every church is different, we've offered up a number of customization options for your statements so they include the information that you want.
- Click on the CUSTOMIZE tab
- Select your country
- Choose the items you'd like to include in your statements by checking the appropriate boxes:
Generating a Mail Merge
You can choose to generate a mail merge file during this process as well. Simply select the "Generate a Mail Merge File in this directory:" option. Then you can copy and paste the file path where you'd like the file to save to. By default, it will go to your downloads folder.
This will create a txt. file that you can use to create labels, letterheads, etc. It's up to you!
Customized Message on Statement
Additionally, you may want to add a custom thank-you message on your statement. This message section is designed for one or two lines of plain text and is not meant to be a large email. The simpler the better.
Restricting Funds and Pledges
If you'd like to restrict which funds are actually included in this statement, check the box for "Restrict and show only these Funds on the statement". A list of your funds will appear. Check the boxes next to the appropriate funds.
You can do the same thing for Pledges. Check the box for "Restrict and show only these Pledges (by Fund) on the statement". A list of your funds will appear (because pledges are tied to funds). Check the boxes next to the appropriate funds.
5. Prepare Your Tax Statements
- Click on the PREPARE tab
- Click on the PREPARE Statement button
Now, this isn't actually sending the statements yet. You can go through this process, up through the prepare step as much as you want, and no one will receive their statements until you take an action on the Delivery Tab.
After you click on the Prepare Statement button, you may have to wait for a few moments for the statements to prepare fully, depending on how many people are included in your batch of statements. Although it may be tempting, don't click the button a second time!
When the statements have been prepared, you'll get a "Deliverability" report that will appear below the "Prepare Statement" button.
Finally, it's time to deliver your tax statements. You can either:
- Create a PDF and save/print your tax statements
- Send your tax statements to congregants via email
Printing Tax Statements
To print your tax statements, simply make sure the "Print the Tax Statements" radio button is selected, then click on the PRINT button.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
Do NOT print your PDF statements directly from this window. We always recommend Saving the PDF to your computer, then printing from your PDF viewer.
The reason for this is that if you have a massive document, let's say 2,000+ statements, your printer may not be able to handle a print job like this. Saving the document first, then allows you to print the document in consumable chunks.
Emailing Tax Statements
- If you instead want to send tax statements by email, select the radio button for Deliver Online Tax Statements.
- In the drop-down box, select the appropriate white label email address that you'd like the statements to be sent from.
- You can also use Merge fields for the system to autofill for each recipient. See the Merge fields and syntax listed above the "Email Statements" button.
- Once you're ready to send your statements via email, do a final check, and click the EMAIL STATEMENTS button.
- On the confirm screen, click on the YES button to send the emails.
- Once you confirm, you will get another message informing you that the messages have been queued up. Because of the email queue, it could take some time to send out the emails, so don't panic if you don't see it come through right away. Not to worry!