Separate (split family) accounts can occur in two scenarios:
- Due to an account set-up error based on the contact card settings of the Family ID and Responsible Signer designations, or
- By the school's choice to allow for split families, such as divorced parents, to have separate accounts and both pay for a portion of their students' tuition expenses.
- For example, if Contract A has both parents as Responsible Signer for Child 1, both get added onto the account as they are both responsible for the tuition. If Child 2 (Child 1's sibling) only had Mom listed as a Responsible Signer, then Mom would be the only person considered responsible for tuition. Because Dad was not a Responsible Signer for Child 2, Dad was not responsible for making payments. This would be a difference that would not be accommodated with one account. To accommodate the situation, a separate account is created.
This can be verified with the steps below:
Verify The Integration Settings
Note: If the option is set to yes, that would mean separate accounts would not be allowed by the school.
- Go to Core
- Settings > Select Blackbaud Connections
- Select Smart Tuition Setup
- Verify if "Only one Smart Family Account allowed per contract" is set No
Verify the Family ID & Responsible Signature Matches
Note: If the Smart Family ID & Responsible Signers field do not match, this would mean separate accounts would have been created.
- Go to Enrollment Management
- Contracts > Select Contracts List
- Filter on the appropriate Year
- Select Choose Columns
- Select the box for Responsible Signers and SMART Family ID
- Review those specific columns to verify if the Responsible Signers and SMART Family ID matches