Caution: Do not use the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel to remove GIFTS without first contacting MicroEdge Technical Support. If you remove GIFTS from the workstation that you used to install GIFTS on your file server, the uninstall process will remove GIFTS from your file server. This will delete all of the GIFTS data stored on your file server, including your report templates, correspondence templates, GIFTS program files, and—if you use a Microsoft Access backend—your GIFTS database. The GIFTS program files will be removed and your data will be lost.
Installing or Re-installing GIFTS on a Workstation
If you have a network version of GIFTS, you can use the following procedure to install or re-install GIFTS on a networked workstation:
Before You Begin: As a precaution, MicroEdge recommends that you back up your GIFTS directory and your GIFTS database before making any modifications to the configuration of your system.
1. Log on to the workstation as a user with the privileges required to install software.
2. Locate the GIFTS.INI file on the workstation.This file is located in C:\WINDOWS by default
Note: This step and the following step apply only if GIFTS was previously installed on the workstation. If GIFTS has never been used on the workstation, you may skip to step 4.
Caution: This re-installation procedure is intended only for the setup of a GIFTS workstation. If you are using a standalone version of GIFTS (where the entire program, including the database, is installed on a single workstation) or if you need to re-install GIFTS on your file server, please call MicroEdge Technical Support before attempting to re-install GIFTS. Improper re-installation of a standalone system or of the GIFTS file server can cause the loss of your grantmaking data.
3. Right-click on the GIFTS.INI file and select Rename. Change the name of the file from GIFTS.INI to GIFTS.INI.BAK and press ENTER. If asked to confirm that you want to change the file's extension, click Yes.
4. Using Windows Explorer, browse to the GIFTS folder on your file server. (such as F:\GIFTS\ or \\SERVER\APPS\GIFTS\).
5. Open the SETUP folder located inside the GIFTS folder and double-click on the SETUP.EXE file.
6. Follow the GIFTS Workstation Setup instructions in the GIFTS Installation and Technical Reference Guide for your version of GIFTS. If your version of GIFTS prompts you to install the XML Parser or Microsoft Data Access Components, be sure to do so.