This error occurs when GIFTS cannot communicate properly with Microsoft Word. MicroEdge recommends that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this article to diagnose and correct this error.
Please take the following steps to isolate the cause of the error:
2.Have you recently upgraded to a new version of Word? If yes, refer to the Compatibility Fact Sheet for your version of GIFTS to make sure that your version of Word is certified as compatible with GIFTS. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
3. Are you trying to generate correspondence with the MyGIFTS Job Manager? If so, ensure that Microsoft Word is installed on the same computer as the Job Manager. The version of Word installed on the Job Manager computer must be the same version that you use on your GIFTS workstations. If this error does not occur when using MyGIFTS, continue to the next step.
4. Log in to GIFTS on another workstation and try to merge from the same template. Does the problem occur on all workstations? If the problem is specific to one workstation (or some workstations but not all), proceed to the Workstation-Specific Errors section of this article. If it occurs on all workstations, proceed to the next step.
5. Do you run Microsoft Word from a network server? If yes, proceed to the Network Installations of Word section of this article. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
6. Does the GIFTS user have full access rights to the network directory that contains your GIFTS correspondence templates? (By default, templates are located in the TEMPLATE directory within your GIFTS directory.) Contact your IT department to verify that the GIFTS user has read and write permissions for all of your template directories, and retry the merge. If the error still occurs, proceed to the next step.
7. Contact MicroEdge Technical Support for additional assistance
If the error occurs on one workstation only: the most common cause of the error is a problem with the copy of Microsoft Word on that workstation. Take the following steps to resolve the issue:
1. Is the virus-protection software on the workstation running and up-to-date? Viruses and worms can interfere with the mail merge process.
2. Is Microsoft Windows configured to hide file extensions for “known” or “registered” file types? If the copy of Windows on your workstation is set up to hide file extensions, GIFTS cannot retrieve the information it needs to process merges.
3. Reboot the workstation, and retry the merge. Rebooting can resolve intermittent problems.
4. Run the Detect and Repair feature of Word (from the Word menu, select Help > Detect and Repair). For complete information about this Word utility, please refer to your Word documentation.
5. If the error still occurs, please go to Step 5 of the troubleshooting procedure in the Cause and Troubleshooting section of this article.
Connect and collaborate with fellow Blackbaud users.