To complete this procedure, you must know the path to your GIFTS directory and GIFTS database. You must also know whether you have a standalone, file server, or client/server version of GIFTS, and be familiar with the format of Windows file paths. If you are not familiar with this information, please contact your organization's technical support personnel.
To locate and edit your GIFTS.INI file:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Select the C:\WINDOWS directory, and search for the GIFTS.INI file.
- Right-click on the GIFTS.INI file and select Open With.. .
- Choose Notepad as the program to display the file and click OK . Other programs can alter the file and make it can unusable
- Review the appropriate section of the file, as follows: If you have a file server system, refer to the section with the header: [Access] . It should contain a line that specifies the path to your GIFTS database. For example: DatabaseName=F:\GIFTS\GIFTS.MDB If you have a client/server system, refer to the section with the header [SQL SERVER] . It should contain a line that specifies the path to your GIFTS database. For example: DatabaseName=F:\GIFTS\GIFTS.MDB
- If the path to your database is incorrect, edit it. If you cannot determine whether the path is correct, please contact your technical support personnel or MicroEdge Technical Support for further assistance.
- From the Notepad menu, select File > Save .
- From the Notepad menu, select File > Exit .
- Start GIFTS. If the correct database path was restored, GIFTS opens normally.
If there is no GIFTS.INI file located within the C:\WINDOWS directory of a workstation, you must re-install GIFTS on that workstation. To re-install GIFTS on a workstation:
- From the problematic workstation, use Windows Explorer to locate the GIFTS directory.
- Open the Setup folder within the GIFTS directory.
- Run the SETUP.EXE file to initiate the GIFTS workstation installation. For more information about the workstation installation process, please refer to the Installation and Technical Reference Guide for your version of GIFTS.