- Open Excel and choose File > Open.
- The Open Dialogue will open up. Navigate to the directory where you saved the file.
- Change the Files of Type to "All Files" - typically the top item in the list if you don't see your file.
- Choose the file you exported from the files listed and either double click on it, or select it and click Open.
- If the file is a text file (.txt), Excel starts the Import Text Wizard. (If the file has a .csv extension, the wizard is skipped and the current.default data format settings are used to interpret how to import each column of data.)
- The Import Wizard will typically choose delimited for you, but if not, select it
- Click Next and confirm that the columns have been properly chosen.
- If they are correct, click Next. If not, you might have to choose the proper delimiter.
- Typically checking Tab and having a Text qualifier of " will be appropriate.
- Step 3 in the Wizard allows you to choose what format each column should be.
- For most data, the General format will be fine. However, you can choose different formats if needed.
- For example, click on a Date column to change the date format. If you have a Zip Code column, and any Zip Codes that start with zero, be sure to format that column as Text, otherwise Excel will remove the leading zero.
- Click Finish.
Connect and collaborate with fellow Blackbaud users.