To set up or fix the path to an external document viewer:
1) Ensure that a working copy of an application that can open the file is installed on the workstation, or on a network server. Example: If you need to view PDF files, you can download the Adobe Reader from http://www.adobe.com/.
2) Log in to the GIFTS Administrator Module.
3) From the Administrator menu, select Setup > Preferences.
4) Click the External tab.
5) In the Alternate Document Viewer section at the bottom right, look for the extension for the type of file you need to view.
5a) If you need to enter a new viewer, enter a file extension into the first empty cell in the File Extension column. For example: enter PDF if you are setting up the Adobe Reader as your external viewer.
6) Place the cursor in the Viewer Program Name cell of the same row, and click the Browse button.
7) You are prompted to choose the filename of the viewer; Browse to the location of your viewer, such as C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe.
8) Select the EXE file for the viewing application, and click Open; the path to the viewer is displayed in the GIFTS External Preferences.
9) Click OK to save the GIFTS preferences.
After you save the preferences, GIFTS will open files with the viewer you specified and the error should no longer appear. Please repeat this procedure for any other file types that you cannot view in GIFTS. If you have any continued issues after following these steps, please reach out to Microedge Technical Support for further assistance.