- In Configuration, select Business Rules
- At the bottom of the list, highlight User Defined Rules and click Constituent, Gift, or Action
- Click New Opening [Constituent] Rule for a constituent rule or New Adding [Gift/Action] Rule for a gift or action rule. For example, if selecting Constituent in step 2, click New Opening Constituent Rule
- Enter the rule name
- In the Query Name field, search for the query or create a query of the records that should have the rule. This query should be dynamic
- Enter the message that should appear when the record is opened
- Select any other options and click OK
Note: Users must exit and sign out and sign back in before the business rule takes affect.
For example, let's say when a user opens a record, he should first review any notes added within the last month.
- In Configuration, Business Rules, highlight User defined rules and click New Opening Constituent Rule in the action bar. The New Rule for Opening Constituents screen appears.
- Enter a rule name; for example, New Notes.
- In the Query name field, click the binoculars to browse for an existing query. To add a new query, click Add New on the Open Query screen. In our example, use this filter: Constituent Note Date Added greater than or equal to This month. Save the query.
- In the Message field, enter the text that should appear when a record satisfies the query criteria; for example, "Please review the Notes tab."
- By default, user defined rules apply to all security groups. Mark the Apply Rule to Selected Security Groups Only checkbox to limit the rule's scope to certain users.
- To invoke a constituent rule when opening gift or action records directly, mark the corresponding checkboxes at the bottom.
To edit an existing User-Defined Business Rule and included records:
- In Configuration, select Business Rules.
- At the bottom of the list, highlight User Defined Rules and click Constituent, Gift, or Action.
- Open the existing rule to change.
- To edit the existing query, select the Binoculars icon next to the Query Name field.
- Search for the included query.
- Highlight this query and select Edit to see the current selected criteria.
- Make any necessary changes to the filters.
- Save and close this query.
- Highlight the same query name in the Open Query window and select Open.
- Click OK to this User-Defined rule.