In Configuration, you can define characteristics for specific fields on the Fields page. For example, you can change a field's status from optional to required, ensuring the field must contain an entry before the record is saved. Or, you can hide a field to prevent data entry to unused fields.
- Log in as Supervisor or as a user with supervisor rights.
- In Configuration, click Fields.
- In the box on the left, select a record type such as Constituent, Student, Vendor. Note that the record types available vary by product.
- In the grid for the record type, field names appear in the Field column.
- To change the display name of a field, you can enter a new name in the Display As column on the same row.
Note: When you rename a field, the change affects all areas of the program. To ensure consistency and accuracy of reports, do not duplicate field names.
- To make a field required, mark the checkbox in the Required column.
- To hide a field, mark the checkbox in the Hidden column.
- To define a field as a table, mark the checkbox in the Lookup column.
- Not all options are available for all fields. An option is unavailable if the box is yellow.
- Spouse is the only field that can be changed even if the Display As column is yellow - at the bottom of the screen there is an option to Display the word 'Spouse' as: Type in your preferred word then open a record to see the changes. When you go back to Config > Fields > Individual Relationships you will see the Display As column updated.
When changing a field that was previously a text field to a lookup field, please keep in mind the following:
- Current records are not changed, nor are errors received
- The text that is currently in constituent records will not be added to the table automatically
- You must hit F7 in the record to pull up the table for these fields
- If a user attempts to manually type in the value for a field that has been changed to a lookup, it will prompt the user to add the value as a new table entry
- Even when this field is changed to a lookup table, when querying on the field, the value is typed in, not chosen from a drop down table, so users can query on jobs that were added before being made into a lookup table, or values that are in the table