Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. If you are new to importing, please review How to import before proceeding.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7GIFTS.CSV) which imports a cash gift paid by check on Phillip Keller's record. The import includes all fields to record the check and all required gift fields. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge 7, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format
- Include the following fields in the data file (for a sample file, refer to step 1 above):
- Headers ImportID*, GFImpID, GFTAmt, GFDate, FundID, CampID, GFAppeal, GFType, GFPayMeth, GFCheckNum, GFCheckDate, GFLtrCode, GFRef, GFGiftAidQualifyMethod**
- Fields Import ID*, Gift Import ID, Amount, Gift Date, Fund ID, Campaign ID, Appeal, Gift Type, Payment Method, Check Number, Check Date, Letter Code, Reference, Gift Aid Qualification Method**
Note: Each gift must be on a separate row in the import data file.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Gift Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. You can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Gift from the Gift category. Click New and select the following parameters.
Note: Unlike some other imports, a Constituent import type will not allow us to import multiple gifts to one Constituent. A Gift Type import must be used, and each gift (regardless of the constituent) will need to have its own row in the data file.
- What do you want to do? Import new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
Summary Tab: We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
* When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier.
** Gift Aid Qualification Method is required when importing gifts for UK version, the value entered should be 1 (Apply Gift Aid Rules), 2 (Set as Qualified) or 3 (Set as Not Qualified).