To mark the constituent as deceased:
- Open the Constituent record.
- On the Bio 1 tab, mark the Deceased checkbox.
- Save and Close the record.
- In Configuration, click Business Rules
- Highlight Deceased options under Constituent options
- The following options are available. They determine what The Raiser's Edge will do when the Deceased checkbox is marked on the Bio 1 tab of a constituent record.
- Enter the current date as the deceased date - This options fills in today's date in the Deceased field as soon as the deceased checkbox is marked.
- Uncheck the "Send Mail?" for all the deceased's addresses - This marks all addresses for the deceased constituent so that they do not receive mail. The spouse is now mailed to regardless of who is marked as Head of Household.
- Make the deceased constituent an honor/memorial - If the Tribute module is present, constituents can automatically become honor/memorials when marked as deceased. This also allow for a default tribute type to be used, and for the tribute to be marked to receive gifts.
- Enter the current date as the "Date to" on all constituency codes - This option will fill in the current date on all constituency codes so that these codes are no longer valid for this constituent.
- Make the spouse a constituent - If the constituent has a spouse who is not already a constituent The Raiser's Edge can create that new record automatically.
- Soft credit the spouse for all gifts given - This will create soft credit entries on all the deceased constituent gifts so that the spouse will now show up in reports as being a soft credit donor.
- No longer soft credit deceased for gifts given by spouse - Keeps the deceased record from being included in any further soft credit gifts.
- Change the marital status of the records - This allows for male and female spouses to have the marital status changed from married to widowed.
- Make the spouse an acknowledgee on the tribute for the deceased - If the option is marked to automatically make the deceased an honor memorial and a tribute is created this option will place the spouse as an acknowledgee automatically.
- Prompt to update the spouse addressee/salutation - This prompts the users that spouse is now a widow so that addressee/salutations can be modified accordingly for correct mailings. The addressee must be updated manually or added globally to a group of records.
To apply the deceased options to records that were already marked as deceased before the business rule was updated:
For one constituent:
- Unmark the deceased option on the constituent record
- Save the record
- Mark the deceased option on the constituent record
- Save the record