When viewing grades, each course is identified by the class ID and course name on the Averages page. When viewing Graded student work, courses are listed according to the class ID in the Class to display menu on the navigation bar.
If your courses are defined in Registrar's Office (Records, Courses) with numeric characters for both the course ID and course name, students/parents logging into NetClassroom may not be able to easily identify courses.
You can globally change course names so they identify the courses. For example, change 5401 to English IV.Note: The Course ID field can be a maximum of 12 alphanumeric characters. The Course name field can be a maximum of 60 alphanumeric characters.
To globally change course names, export the current entries in the Course name field and import more descriptive entries.
- Export the Course information
- On the Export page, click New on the action bar
- In the What type of export do you want to create? box, select Course
- In the Export format field, select Excel 5-7 (XLS)
- Mark the Include Header checkbox
- Click Create Now
- On the filters tab, narrow the courses to include as appropriate. For example, include only courses in the Upper School or only courses in the English Department.
- On the Output tab, you must select the fields required by the update import: Course Import ID, Course ID, and Course Name. To help you easily rename each course in the Excel spreadsheet, you can include other fields in the export, such as Description, Grade levels, and Departments.
- Select File, Save from the menu bar to name and save the file
- Click Export Now to export the records
- On the Export file name screen, in the Save in field, select the appropriate folder
- In the File name field, name the file
- Click Save
- Update Course Names in the exported file
- Open the Excel spreadsheet
- Edit the course name assigned to each course. For example, change 5401 to English IV.
- After editing all course names, select File, Save As from the menu bar
- On the Save As screen, in the Save as type field, select CSV (Comma delimited)
- Click Save
- To close the file, click Yes and then Yes
- Import the updated course names
- On the Administration page, click Import records
- In the list on the left, expand the Courses category and select Course
- Click New Import on the action bar
- On the General tab, in the What do you want to do? frame, mark Update existing records
- In the What file do you want to import? frame, in the Import file field, browse to the location of the saved CSV file
- In the Use field, select Course Import ID
- In the What is the format of this import file? frame, mark Delimited - Characters separate the field
- Select the File Layout tab
- In the Import Fields Names frame, mark Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Select the Fields tab
- In the Available fields box, use the Select button to associate Import ID, Course ID, and Course Name with the appropriate fields in the Import these fields box
Note: Even though other fields are included in the import file, such as Description and Grade levels, you do not need to map them because you are not updating them. If you do map them, ensure each field is in the correct format. For example, grade levels export as the short description and must be imported as the long description.
- Click Save to name and save the import file
- On the General tab, in the Options frame, mark the Validate data only checkbox. Note that this changes the Import Now button to the Validate Now button.
- Click Validate Now
- On Import Complete screen, if there are any exceptions, click View Control Report
- On the Print Preview screen, click the printer button
- Resolve any exceptions
- Repeat the validation process
- When no exceptions are found, unmark the Validate data only checkbox on the General tab. Note that this changes the Validate Now button to the Import Now button.
- Click Import Now