The following are instructions to move or migrate your Blackbaud application and SQL Server database to a new server:
Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
- Review the latest system requirements to confirm compatibility.
- If you are using SQL Server Standard or Enterprise Edition to run your Blackbaud database(s) (instead of the included SQL Server Express version), install SQL Server on the new server before installing any Blackbaud products.
- If you are using SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2 or 2012 Standard or Enterprise edition, refer to How to configure SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014 for use with Blackbaud databases. NOTE: Blackbaud has ended support for SQL Server 2005.
- Enable .NET Framework 3.5 feature if using Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- For more information on specific steps, refer to the Installation Guide for your product.
- If you plan to disable TLS 1.0 on your server refer to How do I prepare to disable TLS 1.0 when using The Raiser's Edge on premise?
Carefully read the entire instructions before proceeding.
- Install the new server:
- Log onto your new server with a domain or local Windows account that has local administrator rights.
- Download and install the appropriate application(s) on the new server, including the latest cumulative patch.
- Share out your Deploy folder on your new server, which was created during the installation and grant your Windows users Read and Execute permissions to the Deploy folder. Make note of the share name of your new deploy folder for future reference.
- Transfer and attach/restore the database files:
- Have all users exit and sign out of the application.
- Perform a backup of the database in the Blackbaud Management Console.
- Take your database offline in the Blackbaud Management Console on your old server after your backup is complete. You may also want to un-share the deploy folder on your old server to prevent users from accessing the old installation files in the Deploy folder.
- Copy the database backup file (.BAK or .zip if compressed) from the old server to a folder on the new server. Note: We recommend that you not place your database backups or database files within the Blackbaud product folder (i.e., The Raisers Edge 7 or The Financial Edge) or Deploy folder.
- Attach your database backup using the Blackbaud Management Console on the new server.
Note: Ensure that you select the blue link "To adjust file location(s), click here" and direct each of the database files to the desired location\folder on the new server.
- Log into your Blackbaud application on your new server to update the database. NOTE: If your server operating system has User Account Control (UAC) enabled (i.e., Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012), then right-click on the shortcut for the Blackbaud application and select "Run as administrator" the first time you attempt to log in after moving to your new server.
- Manually repair or update the workstations by running Setup.exe from the new Deploy package on the new server.
- Log into your Blackbaud application installed on your workstation(s). NOTE: If your workstation operating system has User Account Control (UAC) enabled (i.e., Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1), then right-click on the shortcut for the Blackbaud application and select "Run as administrator" the first time you attempt to log in.
Post server move:
- Schedule your database backups and maintenance in the Blackbaud Management Console on your new server.
- If you move The Financial Edge to a new server and integrate General Ledger with The Raiser's Edge, then you will need to setup integration again. See How to interface The Raiser's Edge with The Financial Edge (includes demo).
- If Media tab objects are linked (not embedded), the links will be broken unless the same directory structure and path to the objects are replicated on the new server. The path may be reset by running the Update Linked Media plug-in [The Financial Edge] [The Raiser's Edge].
- If applicable, re-install any customizations or third-party software such as PaperSave or O-Matic.