- Create it from your Blackbaud software
- Create it outside your Blackbaud software, either manually or from a separate program that contains the other data you're intending to import
Create the import file from the program:
- Use the Import function to create an import file with the required fields
- Export the required information from a query in Comma-Separated Values format and mark the Include Headers checkbox.
- Open the data file in Excel
- Save the file in CSV format
Create the import file from scratch:
- Create a new file in a spreadsheet program, such as Excel
- Fill in the fields with the appropriate information. Each column in the import file represents a particular field. If some records that are being imported do not contain all fields, leave those fields blank in the import file.
For example, for receipts: Column A could list who the receipt was Paid By, Column B Receipt Date, Column C Deposit Number, Column D Amount Paid, etc. These fields can be entered in any order as long as they include all of the required fields.
- Once all of the information to be imported has been entered, select File, Save As and save the file as a .CSV file. Note the location and name of the saved file. This is the file path and name that will be used when importing the file.
For more information about formatting rules, required fields, and field descriptions, select Help, Import Help Topics from the Import module menu bar, select the product and Highlight Import.