If you are working in Excel, unique IDs can be created as follows:
- In first cell of Import ID column, enter the unique ID, such as JB070509-001
- Move pointer to lower right of cell until icon changes to a plus sign like this +
- Hold down left mouse button and drag down the Import ID column to auto-fill
- If multiple IDs are needed in a file, such as importing constituent addresses and phones, add a letter within the ID, such as JB070609A-001, which will auto-fill as JB070609A-001, JB070609A-002, JB070609A-003, etc. Then in another column, JB070609B-001, JB070609B-002, JB070609B-003, etc.
- Avoid leading zeroes at the start of the ID number if possible, for example 070509-001, as this can cause issues if you plan to work with the data in Excel. Unless you are careful to save in a text format every time, like CSV, Excel auto-formatting can sometimes cut off leading zeroes.