Before downloading a patch, consider whether it addresses issues that impact your organization, and verify you have the time and resources needed to test and install it. For the list of issues resolved in the patch, review the patch readme, which is located on the Downloads page for your product.
Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
How to install the patch
- Verify your database version is the version available on the Downloads page for your product. The patch is not compatible with earlier versions of the software. If you are not currently running the latest version, download and install the latest software update before installing the patch. Once you have installed the latest version, log into the software to update the database files before installing the patch.
- Check the software version number that is currently installed. This will be used later to verify the patch was properly installed.
- Log onto the server with a Windows account that has local administrator rights.
- Close all other applications running on the server.
- Select Downloads from the Support menu and then click The Financial Edge, The Education Edge, or Blackbaud Student Information System.
- In the Patch section, click the executable link and then click Save on the File Download screen to save the executable to your server's hard drive.
- When the download completes, double-click the executable to launch it on the server.
- Click Finish once you are prompted that the update completed successfully.
- Log into the Blackbaud application on the server (or standalone) to run database revisions.
NOTE: If using an operating system that has User Account Control (UAC) enabled (i.e., Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2), then right-click on the shortcut for the Blackbaud application and select "Run as administrator" the first time you attempt to log in after the patch installation. For more information, see the Installation Article for those systems.
- Check the software version number. Verify that it is higher than the one noted in step 2.
- To complete the update process, each workstation must be updated by a person with local administrator rights.
NOTE: If using an operating system that has User Account Control (UAC) enabled (i.e., Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10), then right-click on the shortcut for the Blackbaud application and select "Run as administrator" the first time you attempt to log in after the patch installation. For more information, see the Installation Article for those systems.
- Perform the database maintenance recommended after applying a patch.
- Only the latest patch is available for download. Our patches are cumulative and contain all fixes from previous patches.
- The patch can be run only once.
- You may receive the following error: "Error: The installation of the patch has failed (ErrorCode = 1603)".