- Ensure you are using the correct query type
(Example, if you are running a student query, organizations are not included.)
- Select output names or sort fields which are applicable to the query type selected
- Check the criteria. Ensure you are asking for the correct records.
(Example, if you are asking for Relationship information, this may not be the same as the Student information.)
If you are querying on linked records, make sure the records are linked.
- Use the correct operators. Using Not One of or Does Not Equal does not exclude the entire record if selected. For example, you are running a student query and filtering on Test Type <Does Not Equal> PSAT. Jane Smith has two tests: PSAT and SAT. The query will still include Jane's record from the query because she has the test called PSAT, even though she has another test that should be excluded from the query. If you would like Jane's record to be excluded, you can create a merge query to remove her entirely.
- If the query is based on an existing query, verify that the missing records from the new query are included in the source query.
Note: Select Tools, Query options from the query menu bar, and view the Select from query: field to see if a query is based on another query.
- Check the query output and criteria to ensure that any sub-categories are pulled from the appropriate section of the query.
- Check the layout of the criteria.
If using AND and OR operators and the last line of the query begins with the AND combining operator, place the open parenthesis on the first line of filter and the closed parenthesis on the last criteria line that begins with OR.
- Simplify your Criteria.
Instead of using an Operator of equals and one attribute description as the Value multiple times, use the Operator One Of and include all applicable attributes:
- Select the attribute description on which to filter
- Select one of as the Operator
- Include all applicable attribute descriptions in that category
- Add Parenthesis around filters that contain Or's
Status EQ Current Student
AND (ZIP/Postcode EQ 23456
OR ZIP/Postcode EQ 23459
OR ZIP/Postcode EQ 23470)
- Verify you are using the correct query name. Saved queries may have similar names with different parameters. Verify that the query in question is the one you intended to run.
- The Query parameters could be no longer valid. Recreate the query.