Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Prior to importing, we suggest marking Validate Now on the General tab.: Validating the data will not import the information in the system. This is a test run of the import.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (StudentProgression.csv), which updates the Student Progression Entry for Drew Abernathy for 2005-2006 with a different Homeroom teacher and adds a new Student Progression Entry for 2004-2005 for Michael Steinmeyer in the sample database (BB18641). You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.60.250. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- *Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Verify the file has following required fields (any additional fields can be included in the import as well):
- Student Import ID or Student ID
- Student Progression Import ID (field will be blank in the execel file)
- Note: Student Progression Import ID is required to update existing entries but can be left blank when importing new Student Progression Entries
- Academic year
- Grade level
- In Administration > click Import.
- Click Student Progression (located below Student) > Click New.
- Note: If you are updating a Student Progression Entry, select Update Existing Records
- Mark Import New records on the General tab.
- Browse to the CSV file in the Import file field
- Select the File Layout tab and select the Import File does not contain field names option ONLY if your import file does not have header. If your Import File contains the field names, mark Fields names are on the first line of the import file.
- Select the Fields tab and map the fields
- Note: Extensions will be used in this import if the field can be imported multiple times.
- Save the import parameters.
- Click Validate now (if we marked Validate data only on the general tab) or Import Now
- The "Use" field on the General tab to match the field being used to match record.
- If Student Import ID is being used, then Student Import ID should be selected in the dropdown on the General tab.
- If Student Id is being used, then Student Id should be selected in the dropdown on the General tab
- Other fields can be included in the import if preferred.