Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (Test Scores.csv), which updates the active student's test scores on the record of Drew Ash Abernethy and adds a new test score on the record of Erica Bell in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.470. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Student Import ID, Current School, Last Name, Current Grade, Test Type, Test Score, Test Subtype, Date, Stanine, Percentile 1, Percentile 2, Print, and Comments
* Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge.
Note: To Import Multiple Test Scores, you would need to duplicate the fields starting with Test Type (Test Type, Test Score, Test Subtype, Date, Stanine, Percentile 1, Percentile 2, Print, and Comments in the above example). Then, just use the extenstions to separate them in the Fields tab.
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Student
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file do you want to import? Browse to the import file and use Student Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited - Characters separate the fields
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column. If not, manually map them.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
- Click Import Now
For more information, refer to How to import into The Education Edge - The Basics of Import.