Using the Free Periods Report, you can identify the teachers, rooms, or students not scheduled for specific periods, blocks, or times of day.
- On the Reports page, click Scheduling reports
- From the list on the left, select Free Periods Report
- Click New on the action bar
- On the General tab, in the Display by field, you can select Teacher, Room, or Student
- Select the appropriate options in the School, Academic year, Session, and Start terms fields
- You can mark the Create an output query checkbox
- In the Report orientation field, you can select Portrait or Landscape
- Select the Meetings tab
- In the Group time by field, you can select Period, Block, or Times of Day
- If you select Period, you can select the cycle days and periods to include. For example, include only periods 6 and 7 of cycle day B.
- If you select Block, you can select the patterns to include. For example, include only blocks C and G of the Rotating pattern.
- If you select Times of Day, you can select the cycle days and times. For example, include Days 1 and 3 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Select the Filters tab to narrow the teachers, rooms, or students to include. You can filter based on the selection made on the General tab.
- Select the Columns tab to choose the columns to appear on the report. For example, if you are running the report for teachers, you can include the Teacher, Faculty/Staff ID, and Homeroom fields. If you are running the report for students, you can include the Student name, Grade level, Advisor, and Homeroom teacher fields.
- Select the Format tab to determine the look of the report.
- Detail section: Mark the checkbox for each field to include in the list of free times. Depending on the report criteria, the available fields can be Day, Period, Meetings times, Pattern, and/or Block. Use the arrow buttons to set the order of the fields. In the Column format fields, select One column or Two column.
- Sort section: Select the way information appears on the report. For example, you can sort and break a student report by student grade level (descending) and within each grade level sort by student name (ascending)
- Name Formats section: You can select the name formats for faculty/staff and students printed on the report
- Select File, Save from the menu bar
- Name the report and click Save
- Click Preview or Print
Alternative solution for versions lower than 7.6:
1. Create a student query of all current students
2. Create a second student query with the following filters:
+Schedule, Academic Year = [desired year]
AND +Schedule, Session = [desired session]
AND +Schedule, Class Term Enrolled = [desired term]
AND +Schedule, Meetings, Period = [desired period]
AND +Schedule, Meetings, Day = [desired day]
Merge the two queries using the operator: Select records included in Query 1, but exclude records included in both queries.
Query 1 (All current students)
SUB Query 2 (Students scheduled in desired)
= Query 3 (All current students not scheduled in desired period)
This must be done once for each day/period combination. It can also be done with a faculty query to identify days/periods teachers are not scheduled for a class. For individuals, it would be easiest to check the Schedule tab of the record.
When the merged query is saved, the program will note the number of static keys created. This is the number of unique records that are free.