Try each of the following steps in order until the issue is resolved:
- Run ISScript8.msi in the Deploy folder to install Windows Scripting
- Open the Task Manager and select the Processes tab. End Process on any MSIEXEC.EXE or IKERNEL.EXE processes that are running before installing. If the process will not end, then reboot the workstation and check the processes again.
- Grant the System and Administrator accounts Full Control of the \\Windows\Installer folder
Note: The Installer folder is a system folder and can be viewed by Displaying protected operating system files. This folder may also be named \\WINNT\Installer.
- If the installation was downloaded, also grant the System and Administrator accounts Full Control to the folder to which the downloaded file was unzipped.
- Grant the Administrators and System groups Full Control of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\InstallShield registry key
- Rerun the installation
- If the continues, manually register Windows Installer. Refer to Microsoft Solution 315346 for instructions.