Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB58904).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7MGPledge.csv), which imports a $450 pledge on 7/4/05 for Foreign Financial Group, Ltd. to match Winston Tate's $300 gift on 7/4/06 and updates Midland Banking Center's 4/21/05 matching gift pledge from $100 to $150 in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.80.1122. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file that includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Raiser's Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information.
GFImpID, ImportID, GFLink, FundID, GFAmt, GFDate
* Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge , we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge.
- Corresponding Field Names
Gift Import ID, Constituent Import ID, Gift Link, Fund, Gift Amount, Gift Date
- The Gift Import ID value is the gift import ID of the matching gift pledge being imported. This field may be left blank for new records.
- The Gift Link value is the gift import ID of the gift the pledge is matching. If the original gift does not yet exist in the database, add the gift in Records or import the gift in Administration.
- In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Refer to the Matching Gift Pledge Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In versions 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Matching Gift Pledge from the Gift node. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file do you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.