Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
For detailed information on importing, refer to How to import - The basics of importing (BB58904) Note: For instructions on other specific imports, search Knowledgebase with the specific information to import such as "How to import new constituents", refer to the FAQs for a list of the most used import solutions. Follow these instructions to import volunteer time sheets:
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7VolTimeSheet.CSV) which imports a new volunteer time sheet for Robert Hernandez. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
Note: The sample file contains all of the volunteer time sheet fields. Your actual import file should contain, at a minimum, the required fields specified below. The sample file was tested in version 7.61.790. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge 7, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in the data file (for a sample file, refer to step 1 above):
Note: Fields in italics are required fields by the Raiser's Edge for a constituent volunteer time sheet import. Some of the fields in italics are required conditionally. For example, the time sheet import ID is only needed if updated existing time sheets.
Constituent Import ID*, Time Sheet Import ID, Time Sheet Date, Time Sheet Apply to Mandate, Time Sheet Category, Time Sheet Department, Time Sheet Hourly Wage, Time Sheet Hours, Time Sheet Job Import ID(^), Time Sheet Location, Time Sheet Notes, Time Sheet Position, Time Sheet Task, Time Sheet Volunteer Type
(^) Note: To include a particular Job on the Time Sheet, the Job must already exist in The Raiser's Edge. This is similar to when we enter records manually or in batch in The Raiser's Edge. To find the Job Import ID, refer to BB436664.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Constituent Fields sections of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In version 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Volunteer Time Sheet from the Constituent category. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options: Import records not found as new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
Fields Tab: In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column. Also, pay attention to the Extensions column. For example, groupings of phone number fields in the import file must share the same extension.
Summary Tab: We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
* When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.