- The Log On As Service account for the SQL Server service does not have sufficient rights to the backup destination folder.
- The hard drive does not have enough space available to complete the backup.
- Trying to backup to a network drive rather than the local drive.
Try each of the following steps in the order listed until the issue is resolved:
- Un-register and re-register the SQLDMO.dll file located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\SQLDMO.dll or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\SQLDMO.dll.
- If using the included RE_EXPRESS or FE_EXPRESS, then grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account to the backup destination directory.
- If using a full version of SQL Server, grant Full Control permissions to the Log On As Account (the service account) for the SQL Server service account to the backup destination directory.
- Ensure you are backing up to a local hard drive on the server where SQL Server is installed.
- Free up disk space.