A reporting hierarchy consists of groups of funds you add and nest within it. Groups can be created based on a query, fund or fund category filters, and inclusion or exclusion attributes — a group can even consist of a single fund. The order in which you nest the groups determines how results are tallied for the hierarchy.
To set up reporting hierarchies:
- On the Raiser's Edge bar, click Config. The Configuration page appears.
- Click the Reporting Hierarchies link. The Reporting Hierarchies page appears.
Any previously created Reporting Hierarchies display in the grid. Mark the Only show my Reporting Hierarchies checkbox at the bottom of the page if you want only the hierarchies you created to appear in the grid.
On the Action bar, click New Hierarchy. The New Reporting Hierarchy screen appears.
Enter a Hierarchy ID and Description to identify the new hierarchy in Configuration and on reports. The ID appears in the title bar when you open a saved hierarchy.
You can create groups of funds to combine gift totals for a group of funds. Click New Group in the action bar. The New Group screen appears.
Note: The lowest level fund group in any reporting hierarchy must have criteria defined before you can save a hierarchy.
Enter a Name for the group. You can also optionally enter a Goal amount.
Click Include to specify which funds will be included in the group. You can specify to include all funds, include only funds appearing in a specific fund query, or include only funds associated with gifts appearing in a specific gift query.
In the Filters frame, you can further filter the funds included in the group. The records you select must meet all criteria selected on this screen. You can include all records or selected records for each selection in the Filters grid. The Filters grid contains three columns: Filters, Filter Option, and Selected Filters.
- The Filters column lists information you can use to narrow the funds included in the group. The Filters column selections are Funds, Fund Categories, and Campaigns.
- In the Filter Option column, for each selection in the Filters column, you can determine which records in your database to include. The records to include must also meet the criteria you select elsewhere on this screen. In the Filter Option column, you can select to include all records or selected records.
- If you select “Include All” in the Filter Option column, all records for the Filters column selection which meet the group’s criteria appear in the results. For example, for the Filters column selection Fund Categories you can select “Include All” in the Filter Option column. All funds in fund categories meeting the criteria specified elsewhere on this screen will appear in the group. If you choose “Selected” in the Filter Option column, the Selected Filters column is enabled.
- The Selected Filters column displays the records you select to include in the group. You must choose “Selected” in the Filter Option column to enter information in the Selected Filters column. Click the binoculars to open the selection screen. From this screen, you can use the arrow keys to move your choices from the box of selections on the left to the Include these Funds box on the right. The group includes the records you select in the Selected Filters column that meet all the criteria.
In the Attributes frame, you can mark checkboxes to Include or Exclude funds with attributes you specify.
If you mark the Include Funds with these Attributes checkbox, The Include grid is enabled. Fund records with the attributes you select that meet all the other filter criteria appear in the group.
If you mark the Exclude Funds with these Attributes checkbox, The Exclude grid is enabled. Fund records with the attributes you select from the grid do not appear in the group.
Click OK to save the group. You return to the New Reporting Hierarchy screen where the new group now appears.
The hierarchy defaults into Design view. If you want to see the funds that make up each group, click Preview in the action bar. Click Design View to continue building the Reporting Hierarchy.
The lowest level fund groups in any Reporting Hierarchy must have some sort of filtering criteria defined before you can save a hierarchy. In other words, the lowest level in the hierarchy cannot consist of all your funds.
Use the arrows on the action bar to establish the parent and child relationships among groups in your hierarchy. For more information about how the relationship between child and parent groups of funds in the hierarchy affects summary totals, see Using Reporting Hierarchies.
Click Save and Close to save the new Reporting Hierarchy and return to the Reporting Hierarchy page.