Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- If necessary, create a new Addressee/Salutation type
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (Update Addressees.csv), which imports a additional addressee/salutation on Drew Ash Abernethys record in the sample database and updates an existing addressee/salutation on Erica Bell's record. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.470. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by the education software. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Student Import ID, Other Salutation Import ID, Other Salutations Addressee/Salutation, Other Salutations Addressee/Salutation type,Other Salutations Salutations ID
* Although headers are not required in the education software, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge.
- Other Salutations Import ID is required to update existing Addressee/Salutation. When importing new Addressee/Salutations the column can be present in the import file and can be left blank.
- Use the Other Salutations Addressee/Salutation header if you are importing text into the Addr/Sal field. For example, Ms. Jane Smith
- Use the Other Salutations Salutations ID header if you are importing the ID number of an Addr/Sal from Configuration. For example, if Addr/Sal is 19 in your spreadsheet, it will translate to the corresponding formula in Configuration. For information on finding the ID of an Addressee/Salutation in Configuration, refer to: How to find the addressee/salutation ID
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Student
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file do you want to import? Browse to the import file and use Student Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records
What is the format of this import file? Delimited - Characters separate the fields
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column. If not, manually map them.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
- Click Import Now