Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (Individual Import.csv), which adds a new record for Bruce Baldwin in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.470. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in italics are required fields by the Educations Edge for a Individual import. Fields not in italics are required conditionally. For example, Individual Address Import ID is only needed if importing addresses and phone numbers.
The required fields needed to import Individuals are:
- Individual Import ID
- Last name (under Biographical Information)
- First name (under Biographical Information)
- Individual Address Import ID (under Individual Address)
Note: Leave this field blank
- Full address (under Individual Address, Address General)
- Phone Contact type (under Individual Address, Individual Address Phone, Phone)
- Phone Contact number (under Individual Address, Individual Address Phone, Phone)
Note: If importing multiple phone numbers, include a Phone Contact Type column and a Phone Contact Number column for each type of phone number to import. For example: if importing Home, Cell and Business phone numbers, you will need three sets of Phone Contact Type and Phone Contact Number columns. Each pair of columns must have matching extension numbers.
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Individual
- What do you want to do? Import new records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file do you want to import? Browse to the import file and use Individual Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited - Characters separate the fields
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column. If not, manually map them.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
- Click Import Now.