CISP provides the tools and measurements needed to meet the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (PDF), a collaboration between VISA and MasterCard to create common industry security standards. Most, if not all, credit cards require compliance with the PCI standards including VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
Why should you comply?
By complying with these standards, you help ensure the security of your donor's credit card data, protecting them from theft and protecting your reputation. If you do not comply, your credit card provider such as Visa may impose a fine up to $500,000 per incident or impose restrictions on your ability to process credit card payments.
- What are CVV, CSC, or CID numbers and why can't they be tracked? (BB186555)
- Visa's Cardholder Information Security Program page
- MasterCard's Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PDF)
- Guidelines containing 'Best Practices' ideas (PDF)
- FAQs (PDF)
- You can also search the internet for "PCI standards" or "CISP"
Note: For questions on compliance, contact the appropriate person at your organization, your credit card processor, or the appropriate credit card provider. Blackbaud is unable to provide advice on meeting these standards.