Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. If you are new to importing, please review How to import before proceeding.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7AssignedSolicitor.csv) which imports Angela Diresta as an assigned solicitor on Phillip Keller's record. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
Note: The sample file contains all of the fields for a constituent solicitor import. Not all fields are required, but it would be good to include all of them. The sample file was tested in version 7.61.790. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge 7, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in the data file (for a sample file, refer to step 1 above):
Note: Fields in italics are required fields by the Raiser's Edge for a constituent solicitor import. The ARSImpID can be a blank column for importing new records ONLY, but the header is still required to be in the import file.
ImportID*, ASRImpID, ASRLink, ASRType, ASRDateFrom, ASRDateTo, ASRAmt, ASRCampID, ASRFundID
Note: Assigned solicitors may also be created and their corresponding constituent records updated through a constituent import.
Note: Assigned solicitor appeal ID as it is not an available field to map in the import.
Constituent Import ID*, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Import ID, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Link (Import ID of the solicitor's constituent record), Assigned Solicitor Relationship Type, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Date From, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Date To, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Amount, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Campaign ID, Assigned Solicitor Relationship Fund ID
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Constituent Solicitor Fields sections of the Import Guide for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In version 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Constituent Solicitor from the Constituent node. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing.
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column. Also, pay attention to the Extensions column. For example, groupings of phone number fields in the import file must share the same extension.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
* When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.