Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
If you are new to importing, please review How to import before proceeding.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7EventParticipant.CSV), which imports Phillip Keller (constituent) and Keith O'Reilly (nonconstituent) as participants on the Alta Tennis Tournament event. Because Phillip Keller is a constituent, the event information also displays on the Events tab of Phillip's constituent record.
Note: The participant import does not import the constituent information. It only links the participant record to an existing constituent record. If you need to import the constituent record as well, first import the constituent information using a constituent import. Then run the participant import including the import IDs of the newly imported constituents. The only difference between importing participants that have a constituent record than those that don't is that you must include the constituent import ID of the existing constituent record.
You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file contains all of the required fields. Your actual import file should contain, at a minimum, all of the fields from the sample file. The sample file was tested in versions 7.84.1720.0. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in the data file (for a sample file, refer to step 1 above). Fields in italics are required fields for a participant import. Some of the fields in italics are required conditionally. For example, the constituent import ID is only needed if the participant has his own constituent record.
ImportID, REGImpID, EventID, REGTitl1, REGFirstName, REGLastName, REGKeyInd, REGParticipation, REGRegistration, REGRegDate, REGAttended, REGDatePaid, REGAmtPaid, REGStatus, REGInvite
Constituent Import ID, Event Participant Import ID, Event ID, Event Participant Title 1, Event Participant First Name, Event Participant Last Name, Event Participant Key Indicator, Event Participant - Participation, Event Participant Event Registration, Event Participant Date, Event Participant Attended, Event Participant Date Paid, Event Participant Amount Paid, Event Participant Status, Event Participant Invitation
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type. Refer to the Participant Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In version 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Participant from the Event category. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing.
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- Options Import records not found as new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column. Also, pay attention to the Extensions column. For example, groupings of phone number fields in the import file must share the same extension.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.