The SQL Server 2005 default installation options must be changed in order to access Blackbaud databases. Check each of the following items carefully before attaching a Blackbaud database to a SQL Server 2005 instance.
If you are using SQL Server 2005 Express, the version of SQL that is provided with Blackbaud Products, these options are automatically set during the installation process and the below steps are not necessary.
IMPORTANT: For SQL Server 2005 compatible products, be sure to back up the database while using the SQL Server 2000 or MSDE instance prior to attaching the database to a SQL Server 2005 instance and then immediately after attaching the database to the SQL Server 2005 instance. SQL Server 2005 requires changes to the database files and a SQL Server 2005 database cannot be restored using a SQL Server 2000 instance.
- Review the latest system requirements for your product before updating.
- Verify that the version of the Blackbaud product you are using is compatible with SQL Server 2005.
- Enable the TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols for your SQL Server 2005 instance.
- Enable xp_cmdshell.
- If you are using Windows only authentication, users must have public role access to the Blackbaud database and have View server state permission.
- If the Blackbaud Management Console (Blackbaud Management Console) is installed on a separate server from SQL Server 2005, then you must also install the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility components on the Blackbaud Management Console machine.
- Review the appropriate scope of support for your maintenance level.
- SQL Server Standard or Enterprise Edition databases must still be attached via the Blackbaud Management Console (Blackbaud Management Console). Refer to How to use SQL Server Standard or Enterprise Editions instead of the MSDE version? for instructions.