Follow the instructions below to add Congressional districts using CongressionalDistrictFinder:
- Create a query (BB19082) of the constituents to include in the screening
Note: All records need to have a name and at least one address line. We recommend running an AddressFinder screening (BB65882) prior to this service so that all addresses are current and in a standardized format.
- Using the selected records from your query, export the following fields (BB83120) in CSV (comma-separated values) format:
Constituent Import ID
Address Import ID
Preferred Address Line 1
Preferred Address Line 2
Preferred Zip Code
- Transfer the file to our FTP site (BB45967)
- Email email@example.com when the file has been successfully transferred. Allow 3 to 5 business days for processing.
- Once you have been notified that the files are completed, download the files from FTP (BB45967)into a location you can easily remember, such as to your desktop, and unzip the files (BB546). The ZIP file contains a summary report and an import file (CongressionalDistrictFinder.csv, formerly Districts.csv).
- Create a constituent attribute (BB515)called Congressional District with a data type of Table
Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database (BB52243). If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup solution.
- Import the updated data file
- Click Administration, Import
- Under Constituent, select Constituent Attribute and click New
- On the General tab, select:
- What do you want to do?: Import new records
- Options: Create new table entries
- Import file: Click the ellipses (...) to browse to the location of the CongressionalDistrictFinder.csv file unzipped in step 5
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents?: Import ID
- What is the Format of the import file?: Delimited - Characters separate the fields
- Leave the File Layout tab set to the defaults
- On the Fields tab, ensure all fields are mapped
- On the Summary tab, select:
- Create exception file of records not updated/imported: Name the file C:\Exceptions.txt.
- Create control report: Preview
- Click Import Now to import the Congressional District attributes