Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup solution.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB58904).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
- Include the following fields in your import data file. The fields in bold italics are required by The Raiser's Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information.
ImportID**, CampID, IndStCdImpID, IndStrCode1, IndStrCode2, IndStrCode3, IndStrCode4, IndStrCode5, IndStrCode6
* Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge , we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge.
- Corresponding Field Names
Import ID**, Campaign ID, Ind. Structure Code Import ID, Ind. Structure Code 1, Ind. Structure Code 2, Ind. Structure Code 3, Ind. Structure Code 4, Ind. Structure Code 5, Ind. Structure Code 6
Note: The Ind. Structure Code Import ID is required only for updating existing structure codes. This field may be omitted when importing new structure codes.
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Constituent, Constituent
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- What file do you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID**
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
** When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.