When adding a recurring gift or pledge with the Pay Method Direct Debit, the ref no/date fields become visible and are to the right of the Pay Method, just above the Details button.
- The core reference is entered in the Ref No field, must be at least 6 characters with a maximum of 18 characters available and should not begin with spaces.
- It must not be all the same characters – eg all zeros
- Alphabetic characters must be in upper case but the first 4 characters must not be DDIC as this is reserved for bank use only
- It must be lodged with the paying banks exactly as it appears on a signed DDI
- It must be unique for each Direct Debit.
While you may decide to use the Constituent ID as the reference, please be aware that if a constituent already has a direct debit then the Constituent ID alone is not sufficient and you may have to suffix each with a different sequence – eg -1, -2 and so on.
- The Ref No field in Raiser’s Edge is an alpha numeric field and other allowed characters are space, ampersand (&), hyphen, full stop and solidus (/).
After it has been setup, if the core reference changes, BACS require that the current direct debit be cancelled and a new one setup:
- Cancel the direct debit gift
- Add the new direct debit pledge or recurring gift as normal, entering the new core reference in the Reference number field.
- For paperless direct debits, a new instruction is required and an advance notice letter should be produced to confirm the change to the donor. Enter the appropriate information on the Instruction screen. Since this is a new gift, the No. of advance notice days applies.