- Ensure all records you submit to Blackbaud have at least one address line. We recommend you first run an AddressFinder screening prior to this service so that all addresses are current and in a standardized format.
- EmailFinder is not a verification-type service. It is designed to find and return an email address if you don't already have one for a given constituent. If constituents included in the submission file currently have an email address on their record, duplicate email addresses may result when you run the update. For example, you may end up with one phone type of Email and another phone type of EmailFinder, both housing the same email address. To avoid this, do not include constituents who you already have an email address for. If you need to verify existing email addresses, please contact your Account Executive about our Email Verification service by emailing email@example.com
In The Raiser's Edge version 7.80 or higher:
1. Create a constituent query of the constituents to include in the screening. For suggested query criteria, refer to What is the recommended query criteria for EmailFinder export.
2. Click Data Health Center module.
- Note: Next depending on your version of The Raiser's Edge you may also need to select the Data Health Center tab at the top center of your database to access the main Data Health Center page.
3. Across from the EmailFinder link click Submit New Data or Submit New Data.
4. General tab.
- If you are submitting all records continue to step 4.2. If using a query, click the first Include button > Selected Records. Then select and open the query of constituents whose addresses should be included in the submission file.
- In the Address to Check frame, ensure that Selected addresses is set. This is defaulted to the preferred address which is recommended
- In the Head of Household processing frame, select Export only constituents marked Head of Household, Export the first constituent found, or Export both constituents separately. It is recommended to leave this defaulted to Export both constituents separately.
- Mark the appropriate check boxes in the Include these Constituents frame. You can choose to include Inactive constituents and Constituents with no valid address.
- Mark Create control report to get a report of the records and addresses that are submitted. Set it to preview.
- Mark Create exception query to generate an exception file at the end of the export. The file contains all fields the program did not successfully export.
- Mark Create an output query to create a query of all records exported
- The From field will auto populate and display the name your Raiser's Edge is licensed to.
- In the Subject field, enter the subject which must contain the organization name ( or abbreviation,) a few descriptive words and be less than 55 characters (including spaces.)
- In the Reply To field, enter an email address of the person to be responsible for questions. This email address will appear in the sentence “Should you have any questions about this message, please contact us at <phone number > or <email address from Reply To field>.
- Enter your Organizations name in Organization field.
- Enter your Organizations address in Address field.
- Enter your Organizations phone number in Phone Number field.
- If desired, enter your Organizations web site address in Web Site field.
- Enter your name in the Your Name field.
- Enter your phone number in the Phone Number field
- Enter your email address in the Email Address field.
- Review the information to confirm your selections are correct.
- Note: A NCOA Acknowledgement window will open if your Data Health Center is up to date, which can be checked by going to the Web Services module. Click OK.
11. In the Save Static Query window Input/Select preferences for records with exceptions > Click Save.
12. The EmailFinder Export Control Report can be previewed and exported by clicking the White Envelope with a Red Arrow icon or the Export Report icon at the top of your window depending on your version of RE once the report appears.
13. Click the "X" icon at the top right once you are finished with the Export Control Report to complete the submission process.
- Note: If you do not exit out of the report your data will not be submitted.
If not using Raiser's Edge (an Excel file):
- Create a query (BB19082) of constituent records to include in the screening. For suggested query criteria, refer to "What is the recommended query criteria for EmailFinder export?" (BB444620)
- Ensure all records you submit to Blackbaud have at least one address line. We recommend you first run an AddressFinder screening (BB65882) prior to this service so that all addresses are current and in a standardized format.
- If constituents are included in the export file that currently have an email address on their record, you could have duplicate email addresses once the updates are done. For example, you could have a phone type of 'Email' and another phone type of 'EmailFinder' both with the same email address.
- Using the query created in step 1, create a constituent export (BB312008) in CSV (Comma separated values) format that includes the following fields:
Biographical, First Name
Biographical, Middle Name
Biographical, Last Name
Addresses, Preferred Address, Address Line 1
Addresses, Preferred Address, Address Line 2
Addresses, Preferred Address, City
Addresses, Preferred Address, State
Addresses, Preferred Address, Zip Code
Addresses, Preferred Address, Import ID
Biographical, Import ID
- Create an opt out document containing your organization's information to confirm the donor wants to receive emails. For sample wording for the email, refer to the Sample Broadcast Email Wording section below. To purchase a customized broadcast email, please contact your account representative for Data Enrichment Services.
- Submit the CSV file and the Opt Out document via FTP (BB45967).
- When the transfer is complete, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample Broadcast Email Wording [The bold formatted text is required, and is the only part of the email that can be changed. Please note that the information following ‘Subject:’ should contain the organization name and a few descriptive words and cannot exceed 55 characters.]
From: The Center for Excellence
Subject: The Center for Excellence Email Update
We are in the process of updating our database. Your name and address are in our database but we would like to know if we have your correct email address.
Email is an inexpensive and effective means to communicate with our constituents and we would like to use it to contact you.
We are located at 9000 Excellence Ave., Metropolis, SC 29492. To learn more about The Center for Excellence, please visit our website at www.sampletest.org.
Should you have any questions about this message, please contact us at 843-555-2200 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your support.
If you do not wish to receive e-mail from our organization please click here and you will be removed from our mailing list.
Below is a video that you can follow along with that will walk you through the submission process for EmailFinder.