Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (TestScores.csv), which imports multiple test scores onto a Drew Ash Abernethys record in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.638. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information.] If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Student Import ID*, Tests Test Type, Tests Subtest type, Tests Test date, Test Stanine, Tests Percentile 1, Tests Percentile 2, Tests Print, Tests Comments
- Corresponding Field Names
Student Import ID*, Test Type, Subtest, Date, Score, Stanine, Percentile 1, Percentile 2, Print?, Comments
Header note: These headers will be used multiple times to import multiple test scores. In order to map the headers, extensions can be used on the Fields tab of the import.
* Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge.
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Student
- What do you want to do?: Update existing records
- Options: Import records not found as new records
- What file do you want to import?: Browse to the import file and use [Enter name of Import ID] to match records in the import file with existing records.
- What is the format of this import file?: Delimited Characters separate the fields
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file.
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file.
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.