Prior to updating records:
- If you are currently on Raiser's Edge versions 18.104.22.168 - 7.91.5056.3, we strongly recommend updating to a newer version of The Raiser's Edge before importing your results.
- Review the AddressFinder User Alert Knowledgebase article.
- In versions 7.91 and higher, the import may timeout if performed as a user with Supervisor rights. While we recommend using an ID with Supervisor rights for all imports, if the import will be running unattended please follow these steps to ensure the update doesn't timeout:
- Log in as a Supervisor
- Go to Configuration > Business Rules > System access options
- Mark the option to 'Disable inactivity timeout for all non-Supervisor users'
- To complete the udpate, log in with a non-Supervisor username that has rights to edit and update all constituent records, tables and fields.
- Note: If you have code table fields that need to be updated, you will need to mark Create New Table Entries. This can only be done by users with supervisory rights.
- Coordinate your address update with other users at your organization because all other users must exit and sign out of The Raiser's Edge and the process will take some time, depending on the size of the file and the speed of your machine and network. All networks are unique, so allow several hours for this process to complete. While processing, the workstation it is being run on may process slowly. The entire file must process at one time (there is not an option to only import the first 1/2 now and the second 1/2 later). If the update process is stopped for any reason before it is completed, refer to BB215284.
- Prior to updating, it is very important to confirm that you have a valid backup. You should feel confident that you could restore to this backup if an issue occurs. Refer to BB291, which provides details on the recommended backup procedures and has a link to the backup instructions.
- Run the Updated Address Report process prior to updating your addresses. This helps you compare the corrected addresses against the current addresses in your database before the database is changed. The report will take some time to process, depending on the size of the file and the speed of your machine and network. All networks are unique, so allow several hours for this process to complete. While processing, the workstation it is being run on may process slowly.
- You will still receive returned mail after addresses are updated through AddressFinder. The accuracy of your mailing list is very important. Incorrect spellings and missing information both play a key role in determining an NCOA match. For more information on this issue, refer to BB210998.
- When the AddressFinder update is imported, it updates the addresses that have changed along with all the shared/linked addresses.
- If running AddressFinder on version 7.85 or higher of Raiser's Edge Address Attributes will stay with an address only if you select to save the previous address (for either NCOA changes only or all files). However, when importing, if you do not save the old address then all Address Attributes will be removed.
Solutions about specific AddressFinder options:
- Update only addresses with NCOA address changes (BB147069) on the General tab.
- What options are available for the New Certified Addresses (BB310844) on the Process Options tab? **This is especially important if you integrate with The Patron's Edge.
- Save Old Address:
- What is the impact of selecting Save Old Address in Constituent Address List (BB324230) on the Process Options tab?
- What options do we recommend (BB310845) when selecting to Save Old Address in Constituent Address List on the Process Options tab?
- Retain 'care of' and 'attention:' information from the second line of the original address (BB324578) on the Address Format tab.
For more information on setting up and using AddressFinder, refer to How to use AddressFinder in versions 7.80 and higher of The Raiser's Edge (US version).