Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup solution.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
1. Create a data file or use an existing file. The file should be in a CSV format.
Include the following fields in your import data file. The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Fields to Import:
- Student Import ID, Notes Import ID, Notes, Date, Type, Description, Title, Author, Print on Transcript, Print on Report Card
- If you are importing a new note to a student's record the Notes Import ID field would be blank.
Administration > Import Records > Under the Student section select "Note" > New Import
Use the following parameters:
- What do you want to do? Import new records
- Options: Validate data only (would suggest marking this option as it allows you to "preview" the import before having to import. This will also show you any exceptions that might keep you from successfully importing.)
- What file do you want to import? Use the three dots to the right to browse to the import file and select
- Use: Student Import ID (or Student ID) to match records in the import file with existing records (this will depend on what ID you have in your CSV file)
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited - Characters separate the fields
- Field Separator: Comma
- Text qualifier: Quotation
- Import field names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample import format: Verify the first few rows of the import file are showing the correct information
Here you will map the fields in your CSV file to the proper field in your application. The Fields to Import are the column headers in your CSV file. The Import Field is the field that the information would populate in the student's record.
We recommend marking all Import Options. At the very least, mark the Create control report option