Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Prior to importing, we suggest marking Validate Now on the General tab.: Validating the data will not import the information in the system. This is a test run of the import.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- *Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Verify the file has following required fields (any additional fields can be included in the import as well):
- Record ID
- Field can be blank ONLY if the record being imported does not exist in the system. (Example: Importing a new student with parents that are already exist)
- If users are updating existing records (both records exist in the system), mark update existing records instead of import new as this will lead to the exception about a duplicate record.
- Relation ID
- Reciprocal Relationship
- Record ID
- In Administration > click Import.
- Click Relationship (below bolded Record)
- Mark Import new records on the General tab
- Browse to the CSV file in the Import file
- Select the File Layout tab and and select the Import File does not contain field names option ONLY if your import file does not have header. If your Import File contains the field names, mark Fields names are on the first line of the import file
- Select the Fields tab and map the fields
- Save the import parameters.
- Click Validate now (if we marked Validate data only on the general tab) or Import Now