Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. (NOTE: If your RE database is Hosted by Blackbaud, the backups are created for you, you will not need to perform this step.) If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Prior to updating records, refer to How to download the updated AddressFinder file (includes video demo) for critical considerations prior to updating your data. If you are printing out this Knowledgebase solution, be sure to also print What options are available to consider before performing the AddressFinder update import?.
Please refer to How to download the updated AddressFinder file (includes video demo) for more information about the Post Office's Move Update Standards.
1. Have all users exit and sign out of The Raiser's Edge (If using RE NXT, all users need to exit out of Database View, Users may continue to work in NXT Webview)
2. Click the Data Health Center module
3. Across from the AddressFinder link click Update Data.
4. General tab
- Mark the Create exception query checkbox to create a static constituent query containing the names of the constituents whose addresses could not be updated.
- If you only want to include the addresses of people that have moved (addresses where NCOA information was found), mark the Update only addresses with NCOA address changes checkbox. For additional information and ramifications when marking this checkbox, refer to What does the Update only addresses with NCOA address changes checkbox do?.
- If you want to save a copy of your import file, click the ellipsis button in the Save import file to field, and browse to the location to which the import file should be saved. Provide a file name and click Open to save the location.
- If the City field is a lookup field in your database select the Create Table Entries checkbox, to allow the new cities provided with this update to be added to the City table. The City field is located in the Address section of Configuration, Fields.
- In the Processing Mode frame select one of the following:
- Batch mode: Update all the addresses at one time. (Recommended)
- Interactive mode: Updates one address at a time. Note: If you select this option be aware that if you stop during the process and come back to resume updating addresses the mode does not save where you left off. You run the chance of updating records multiple times if you do not keep track of what records have previously been updated.
- In the Reporting Options frame, mark the Create control report checkbox to create a report containing information about the updated addresses.
- Note: The AddressFinder Control Report can be Exported by previewing the report and then clicking the White Envelope with a Red Arrow icon or the Export Report icon depending on your version of RE once the report appears during the end of the import process.
- In the Add the Following to New Certified Addresses frame select the appropriate options for adding the new addresses.
- If you want to save the original address on the Address tab of a constituent record, mark the Save Old Address in Constituent Address List checkbox and select the appropriate options for adding the old addresses. For additional information and ramifications when marking this checkbox, refer to What does the Save Old Address in Constituent Address List checkbox do?.
- In the Address Capitalization frame, select Proper case address to use the standard address capitalization format. Select Capitalize entire address if all letters in the address should be capitalized.
- Choose the appropriate Address Lines Format. The possible formats are:
- Delivery Address Line and secondary address information on the same line
- Secondary address information on the line immediately above the Delivery Address Line
- Secondary address information on the line immediately below the Delivery Address Line
- In the Address Lines Format frame, if appropriate, mark the Retain 'care of' and 'attention' information from the second line of the original address...' checkbox. For additional information and ramifications when marking this checkbox, refer to How to retain 'care of' or 'attention to' when updating with AddressFinder.
- To spell out the street suffix, (for example, Street, Boulevard, Avenue, Drive, Place, etc), check the option Do not abbreviate address elements according to USPS format.
- The Summary tab displays the criteria selected for the report. Review this to confirm that the update is set up correctly.
9. If Batch mode was selected skip to step 10. If Interactive mode was selected on the Process Options tab, an Address Validation screen appears.
- Mark the Add footnote as an address attribute checkbox to copy a footnote flag to the constituent record as an address attribute.
- In the Date To Use field, enter the date to appear in the Date field of the address attribute (footnote)
- In the Comment field, enter any comments to associate with the address attribute (ex. Fowardable move)
- Mark the Copy original address to alternate checkbox to copy the original uncertified address as an alternate address on a constituent record
- Click the appropriate button:
- Click the Update Address button to update the current address in the database with the new certified address
- Click the Skip button to skip the address
- Click the Auto button to change from Interactive mode to Batch mode
- Click Cancel to end the updating addresses session. Note: If you select this option be aware that if you stop during the process and come back to resume updating addresses the mode does not save where you left off. You run the chance of updating records multiple times if you do not keep track of what records have previously been updated.
- Skip to step 11.
11. In the Save Static Query window Input/Select preferences for records with exceptions > Click Save.
12. The AddressFinder Update Control Report can be previewed and exported by clicking the White Envelope with a Red Arrow icon or the Export Report icon at the top of your window depending on your version of RE once the report appears.
13. Click the "X" icon at the top right once you are finished with the AddressFinder Update Control Report to complete the update process. Note: If you do not exit out of the report your data will not be updated.
14. Under the Update Data column for AddressFinder the date of the update will appear.
If you selected to Update only addresses with NCOA address changes on the General tab only new addresses will be standardized. If you would like to standardize all addresses submitted and do not use AddressAccelerator to batch standardize addresses, follow steps 7-13 in How to prevent duplicate addresses from being created when running AddressFinder.
Below is a video that you can follow along with that will walk you through the import process for AddressFinder.