- Create a Constituent query
- On the Criteria tab, select Summary Information, Summary For Gift, Total Amount of Gifts. Select the appropriate operator and value(s).
- In the Edit Field Criteria screen, select the Filter tab
- Select the appropriate filters, such as:
Gift Information, Gift Date between [date range]
AND Gift Information, Gift Type one of Cash, Pay Cash, MG Pay Cash
Note (A): By default, Summary Information query fields consider only these gift types: Cash, Pledge, MG Pledge, Stock/Property, Stock/Property (Sold), Gift-in-Kind, Other, and Recurring Gift Pay-Cash. Write offs (Write Off) and matching gift write offs (MG Write Off) are subtracted from totals. To summarize different gift types, filter by Gift Type and select the types to include. For more information, review What are the default gift types and how to include other gift types when querying on summary information?
Note (B): Depending on your User Options, if you add the criteria statements separately, instead of combining them as in the example above, the statements may not work in conjunction with one another. For this reason, we recommend combining all filters on the same criteria statement. For more information, review What are the advanced query user options?
- Total Gift Amount in query automatically subtracts write-offs from pledge amounts. The total gift amount exported from the Export module does not subtract write-offs from the totals unless Use gift balance instead of gift amount is marked on the Gift Types tab of the Gifts Criteria screen. As a result, totals exported from the Export module may not match the totals on the Results tab of a query.
- Each Summary Information query field includes its own Filter tab. Use it if you want to further define summary information filter criteria. In our example, we used the Filter tab to add the Gift Date and Gift Type criteria.
- If you use the query in Export (or any other area of the program), to isolate the same total amounts, you must use the same criteria in Export that you used in Query. (Remember, the query only identifies donors with gifts totaling a certain amount.)
- If you frequently query on summary totals, consider using the Ask operator.
- If you place Total Amount of Gifts in the Output, be sure to specify the same criteria as on the Filter tab above. The easiest way to do this is to select the Total Amount of Gifts fields in the Query Fields category at the top of the Output tab list of available fields. These fields use the same criteria selected on the Criteria tab.
- If you need to consider a donor's soft credits in addition to hard credit donations, review How to set soft credit options in Query.
For example, to query on constituents who have given $100 or more last year:
- Create a new Constituent query
- On the Criteria tab, select Summary Information, Summary For Gift, Total Amount of Gifts.
- On the Edit Field Criteria screen's Criteria tab, in the Operator field, select greater than or equal to. In the Value field, enter $100.
- Do not click OK. Instead, select the Edit Field Criteria screen's Filter tab:
- On the Filter tab of the Edit Field Criteria Screen, select the Gift Date field
- On the Edit Field Criteria screen for Gift Date, in the operator field, select equals. In the Value field, select Last calendar year and click OK.
- On the Edit Field Criteria screen for Total Amount of Gifts, click OK.
- On query's criteria tab, one line of criteria with a plus (+) sign next to it will appear. This indicates that the Total Amount criteria has a filter selected. Clicking on the plus (+) sign will expand the selection to display, the filter as shown below:
- Select the appropriate fields on the Output tab and click the Run Now button
The following criteria do NOT work (refer to Note (B) above):
- Create a new Constituent query
- On the Output tab, select:
Summary Information, Summary For Gift, Total Amount greater than $100
AND Gifts, Gift Date equals Last calendar year
When the query is set up this way, the date range is a separate filter. It is not a subfilter of the Total Amount field. This criteria is selecting constituents that have given $100 for all time and have given at least one gift last year. The criteria displays like this: