Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- Create a data file (BB87812) or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (IndRelation.csv), which imports Mike Jones as an individual with a relationship to Michael Andrews in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.638. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format. (BB11254)
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Biographical Information Last name, Biographical Information First name, Address General Address Line 1, Address General City, Address General State/Province, Address General ZIP/Postcode, Phone Contact type, Phone Contact number, Individual Relationship Relation ID (this is the Record ID of the student/applicant or other relation) , Individual Relationship Relationship, Individual Relationship Reciprocal Relationship
- Corresponding Field Names
Individual Last Name, Individual First Name, Individual Address Line 1, Individual Address City, Individual Address State, Individual Address Zip, Phone type, Phone number, Student ID, Relationship, Relationship Reciprocal
Note: If including a phone number, a phone type is required.
In Excel, use Text as the column type (BB520364) for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file (BB135422) using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Individual
- What do you want to do?: Import New Records
- What file do you want to import?: Browse to the import file and use Individual Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records.
- What is the format of this import file?: Delimited - Characters separate the fields
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number (BB520364). Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.