Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.Important considerations:
- We recommend that you merge duplicate records within one product, such as Student Billing, before merging with their counterparts in the two other products.
- We recommend that you merge applicant and student records before merging individual and faculty/staff records, to ensure that applicant and student relation information merges successfully.
- Before merging faculty/staff and individual records, verify all relevant attribute types are defined for both record types or the attributes will not merge.
- It is possible to merge different types of records into student records. However, it is not possible to merge a student record into a different type of record due to the amount of information that would be lost (such as grades, attendance, conduct, etc.). For example, you can select a student record as the primary record and merge an individual record into it. If you select an individual or faculty/staff record as the primary record, it is not possible to select a student record to merge into it.
To merge records:
- On the Administration page, click Merge Records
- Click Create Merge Records parameter files based on the decisions made
- Click New on the action bar
- In the Merge using field, select specific criteria or specific records
- To merge records within the same product, select specific records which allows you to manually select each specific record to merge on the Preview tab
- To merge records across products, you can select either option
- If you select specific criteria, mark the appropriate records types to include and select the duplicate criteria to use to identify duplicate records for each record type.
- On certain record types, you can also mark a checkbox to check for duplicates in other record types. For example, in applicant criteria, you can select to include student records. In faculty/staff criteria, you can select to include individual records. In student criteria, you can select to include applicant records.
- In the Merge records within these record types box, mark the record types to merge
For example, to only search for duplicate student records, only mark the Students checkbox. To merge duplicate faculty/staff and individual records, mark both checkboxes
- In the When resolving a conflict between the records being merged use field, select which record to use when merging records containing different values
- If you select date last changed, the program considers the record with the latest date last changed value as the primary record. If you are merging records right after converting, be aware that the date last changed for the records is the conversion date.
- If you select the record with the attribute added by the conversion, the program considers the record last converted as the primary record. If no records have this attribute or multiple records have this attribute, the program uses the one with the latest date last changed value as the primary record.
- If you select the record without the attribute added by the conversion, the program considers the record not converted as the primary record (if there are two records, one with the attribute and one without)
- You can mark the Create an output query of merged records checkbox
- Mark the Keep billing status from the duplicate record checkbox to overwrite the billing status on the primary record with the billing status from the duplicate record. This is especially important when first merging Student Billing and Admissions Office/Registrars Office records together when Student Billing records are selected as the duplicate record.
- Mark the Keep current status from the duplicate record checkbox to overwrite the current status on the primary record with the current status from the duplicate record. This is especially important when first merging Student Billing and Admissions Office/Registrars Office records together when Admissions Office/Registrars Office records are selected as the duplicate record.
- Select the Filters tab to further filter the included records. This tab is only available if you choose to merge using specified criteria.
- Select the Addresses tab to establish criteria for how to compare addresses between records
Note: When comparing address lines, the program ignores punctuation and recognizes address abbreviation equivalents (such as Ave for Avenue, Ln for Lane, and Pky for Parkway).
- In When merging addresses, check the following fields for identical values, mark checkboxes for the address fields to check for duplicates.
- If you selected to check address lines, in Use [ ] characters of the address lines, enter the number of characters to check in the address lines for duplicates
- If you selected to check the ZIP/postcode, in the Use [ ] characters of the ZIP/postcode, enter the number of characters to check in the ZIP/postcode for duplicates
- Select the Preview tab to either view or select records
- If you selected merge criteria on the General tab, you can view the records identified as duplicates
- If you selected to merge specific records on the General tab, you can select the primary and duplicate records to merge
- To enter a primary record, click Load Primary Record on the action bar to search for and select a record
Note: When merging records within the same product, select the product from the Find drop-down menu to limit the records in the search results to only that specific product. For example, if merging duplicate student records in only Student Billing, select Student (Student Billing) from the drop-down menu.
The options in the Find menu change depending on the checkboxes marked for the records to merge on the General tab
- To enter a duplicate record to merge into a primary record, search for and select the record in a row below the primary record
- To omit a record from the merge, unmark the checkbox in the Merge column
- To begin the merge, click Merge. When the merge is complete, the Merge Records Complete screen appears, displaying statistics about the processing.
- Click Close. The control report appears with more details about the processing.